Inspector John Periversoff was the acting Haldimand Detachment Commander during much of the worst violence in Caledonia, including May 24/06 & June 09/06 while the serving commander Inspector Dave McLean was away.
His presence in Caledonia during the worst of the violence somehow went unnoticed until the discovery of his name, early in 2011, in a copy of the minutes for an in-camera, emergency Haldimand Council meeting held on May 23/06 to discuss the possibility of bringing in the Canadian Forces to protect citizens from native militants.
(Unbeknownst to Council, however, in a letter dated May 03/06, the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services Monte Kwinter had already acceded to a May 02/06 demand from Six Nations that the Canadian Forces not be called in.)
Periversoff was appointed permanent commander Dec 28/09.
- May 17/06 – June 23/06 (acting)
- Nov 10/08 – Jan 06/09 (acting)
- June 12/09 – Dec 27/09 (acting)
- Dec 28/09 – Present (Feb 11/11)
Haldimand County OPP Detachment
P.O. Box 148
72 Highway #54
Cayuga, ON N0A1E0
t: 905.772.3322 f: 905.772.5815
- Haldimand County Council minutes, May 23/06: Emergency, in camera meeting re military assistance, etc. [PDF]
- Regional News, Gary McHale, Feb 02/11: Insp. Periversoff and Race Based Policing Part 2
- Regional News, Gary McHale, Jan 26/11: Insp. Periversoff and Race Based Policing Part 1
- Regional News, Gary McHale, March 31/10: Insp. Periversoff: healing or dividing?
- The Sachem, Oct 23/09: New commander for Haldimand OPP